Safe, effective & far more affordable than a tummy tuck – abdominoplasty
Abdominal liposuction is one of the most sought after cosmetic surgery procedures today, providing remarkable results for men and women without the added risks and expenses of abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).
Compared to a tummy tuck, abdominal liposuction offers:
- less downtime
- fewer chances of complication
- far less expense
- wonderful results, with the skin contracting back surprisingly well after the procedure
Many people think they require a tummy tuck to get rid of a ‘mummy-tummy’ or belly fat, only to discover they simply require stomach liposuction. These patients are usually exceedingly happy with the results. Therefore, even if you think you may also require a tummy tuck, we recommend you have the stomach liposuction procedure first, then wait three to six months before deciding to proceed with further surgery.
With any surgical procedure, you need to consider the pros and cons. With abdominal liposuction, certain factors need to be considered, including your gender; age; amount of fat, wrinkling and sagging on your tummy; stretch marks; history of repeated weight gain and loss; and (if female), the number of pregnancies.
Female cosmetic surgeon Dr Feldman is based in South Yarra, Melbourne (near Toorak, Prahran, Windsor and Richmond).
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.
Stomach liposuction is a fairly straightforward procedure. No general anaesthetic is required, so the procedure can be performed in our accredited day clinic in South Yarra. Along with the injected local anaesthetic, patients only require a light sedative to help them relax. However, some patients that want more sedation may elect to have twilight sedation.
After the procedure
After your procedure, you’ll be sent home within a few hours and given a compression garment to wear for up to four weeks. Recovery is far quicker than with abdominoplasty.
Read relevant liposuction articles from our blog…
Abdominal Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty
Pros and cons of stomach liposuction & the tummy tuck
The pros and cons of both stomach liposuction and tummy tucks will need to be discussed carefully with your doctor to determine which is the best procedure for you. Both procedures have their place. Here is a summary of the pros and cons of both:
Choosing stomach liposuction over tummy tucks:
- Less expense
- Fewer risks
- Less downtime
And, the skin often contracts back into shape to a surprising degree.
- Liposuction will not remove unsightly stretch marks or excessively sagging skin (e.g. after severe weight loss or several pregnancies)
Choosing a ‘tummy tuck’ (abdominoplasty) over liposuction
- A good option for those with excessively stretched and sagging skin with a lot of stretch marks
- The procedure surgically removes stretched, scarred skin that cannot be cosmetically improved by simply removing fat cells
- Tightens tummy muscles – excellent for those with excessively stretched abdominal muscles after pregnancies
- Can be quite an involved procedure which always requires general anaesthetic
- Large scars may be permanently visible without clothing
- When the largest segment of lower abdominal skin is removed, the bellybutton requires surgical repositioning and reconstruction
- Quite often surgically altered naval does not have a natural look
- Tummy tucks are far more dangerous with potential complications, such as blood clots or pulmonary embolism
- Abdominoplasty costs are roughly 2 to 3 times more expensive than liposuction of the tummy area
- Recovery time is typically 2 to 4 weeks longer than liposculpture
If you’d like both cosmetic surgery procedures done
Many cosmetic surgeons are so confident of the benefits of liposuction that they suggest you have the liposuction performed first, then wait six months before the tummy tuck. After this period, many patients are so happy with the liposuction they decide not to go ahead with abdominoplasty, saving them considerable expense, time and discomfort. For those that wish to continue with plans for a tummy tuck, as the liposuction has already been performed the procedure takes less time and is hence less stressful on the body. The shorter surgery time also makes the surgical procedure safer.