This page explains the surgical procedure for breast liposuction. For more information (discussing pros and cons, ideal candidates, etc.) please see our breast liposuction page. All Doctor Feldman’s liposuction surgery procedures are performed at her registered day surgery in South Yarra, Melbourne. A breast reduction liposuction procedure usually takes one to two hours.
All patients proceeding with breast liposuction surgery must have undergone the following:
- Attended an initial consultation with Dr Feldman at her South Yarra rooms, where you have discussed the pros and cons for the procedure, your objectives and expectations, medical history and more.
- Received a mammogram 3-D tomosynthesis under Dr Feldman’s instructions. This screening procedure is similar to a mammogram, but it produces a 3-D image rather than a flat, two dimensional one.
- Sought the opinion of at least one other appropriately trained medical professional regarding the procedure.
- Attended a pre-surgery appointment with Doctor Feldman where she covers the details of the surgery with you and answers any questions you may have.
Before & during your breast liposuction procedure
- After your procedure, you will be asked to carefully sit upright and put on a compression bra.
- You’ll relax in a recovery room for approximately an hour until you feel well enough to go home.
The ‘before and after’ photographs on Dr Joni Feldman’s website illustrate examples of the types of procedures Dr Feldman provides, along with the results received. Results may vary, depending on the individual. Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.
- Doctor Feldman will provide you with the appropriate pain medication along with instructions to follow carefully for the next six days. During this time, you will be required to wear a compression garment (similar to a sports bra) to prevent swelling.
- For the first 24 hours post op, there will be some excess fluid from the local anaesthetic that will leak into the pads. There is usually only 1 or 2 tiny incisions which do not require stitches.
- When showering or bathing you must keep the bra on for the first 24 hours.
- If you have a sedentary job, you may return to work after approximately 2 days
- Light exercise, e.g., walking or gentle house-work/professional work can be resumed after one to two days
- You can resume moderate-to-vigourous exercise such as a low-impact gym workout after 4 weeks
- You must wait until after 2 weeks before lifting weights, children or pets
- You can resume jogging or running after 4 weeks
Australian Studies Highlight Long-Term Benefits of Breast Reduction
Breast reduction liposuction offers far from just cosmetic correction. Read our article on the 12-year cohort study highlighting the chronic health problems of women with large breasts, along with the overwhelmingly positive benefits – both physically and mentally – achieved after breast reduction surgery.